Sport utility vehicles are the perfect cross between trucks and sedans when it comes to drivers’ needs. For instance, these vehicles have powerful towing capacity while being easy to navigate on city roads.
Types of SUVs
SUV designs were initially similar to a truck with a cap on its bed. However, the drivers of SUVs are not separated from their storage or other passengers as with a truck cap.
SUVs are generally categorized by whether they are economy or luxury and by size. SUV sizes include the:
· Compact, which is the smallest standard–size SUV but is larger than crossovers. These models are based on the frame of a compact truck. Compact 2020 SUVs include:
o Jeep Compass.
o Honda CR-V.
· Mid-size, which is the next size up and is designed from a mid-size truck. This SUV type is often mixed up with or part of the full-size category although smaller. The latest SUV models that are mid-size include:
o Toyota Fortuner.
o GMC Acadia.
o Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class.
· Full-size, which are based on full-size trucks and the largest of the SUV types. While some makes and models appeal to adventure enthusiasts for their off-road abilities, others are designed by luxury manufacturers that focus on having premium features on the latest SUV models. Some full-size SUVs include
o Chevrolet Tahoe.
o Toyota Land Cruiser.
o Range Rover.
Depending on preferences, a driver may be better suited to an SUV or a crossover. For instance, drivers may opt for an SUV with third-row seating to maximize the number of passengers. However, a crossover is great for those who live in cities and want to maximize cargo capabilities.
Smaller 2020 SUVs
In addition to the above options, there are smaller models that are called crossover SUVs since they have car-based bodies. Crossovers usually have better fuel-efficiency but are limited off-road.
These sport utility vehicles are similar in size to hatchback editions of sedans. However, there are select differences, such as having a higher ground clearance.
These crossovers also have a size spectrum including:
· Subcompact, which is the smallest crossover SUV option. As the name indicates, they are based on the size of a subcompact car. This type has very limited capabilities compared to larger crossovers. Subcompact crossover SUVs include:
o Mazda CX-3.
o Hyundai Venue.
o Kia Soul.
· Compact, which is based on the size of a compact car. Compact 2020 SUVs include:
o Nissan X-Trail.
o Subaru Crosstrek.
· Mid-size, which are based on the size of a mid-size car. The latest SUV models that are mid-size include:
o Volvo XC90.
o Hyundai Santa Fe.
o Audi Q5.
· Full-size, which are based on the size of a full-size car and are sometimes seen as minivans. The SUV models that are full-size include:
o Honda Odyssey.
o Toyota Sienna.
o Kia Sedona.
Crossovers are great options for smaller or older drivers who need a lower point of entry but still need the benefits of SUVs like the number of passengers and storage.
Crossovers are perfect for families with pets, as they can transport their pets in the cargo hold without worrying about open-air problems like in trucks or having them put on seats like with cars.
Latest SUV Model Options
The newest type of SUV is hybrid. Hybrid SUVs have duel engines that maximize fuel-efficiency. Some include:
o Mercedes-Benz GLC.
o Acura MDX.
Why Drivers Pick SUVs
Past and the latest SUV models give drivers a great experience on the road. Since they are bigger than coupes and sedans, motorists have a better view with the higher vantage point.
Similarly, these vehicles come in a wide spectrum of sizes, so prospective buyers can choose that fits their preferences and needs best. SUVs are great for transporting lots of people, plenty of things and bulky objects.
An SUV is a great option for parents with many kids or individuals who consistently need to transport big and plentiful items. For instance, boat owners or those with recreational vehicles like ATVs can use SUVs to haul vessels as well as supplies and gear.
Small business owners and entrepreneurs also enjoy the flexibility the latest SUV models offer. With fold-down seats, cargo holds and entertainment features, individuals can switch from traveling with clients to transporting goods and equipment.
SUVs generally have better fuel-economy than trucks, particularly hybrid and electric models. Likewise, a mid-size or smaller SUV is easier to drive in cities than larger trucks and vans.